I still remember how I and my siblings used to gather around our Grandma, when we were kids and she was making this pickle. All for a piece of tangy raw mango rolled in those freshly mixed spices. The thought of that taste still makes my mouth water. 🙂
This recipe is my Grandma’s recipe and everyone in my family simply adores it. It cannot get more authentic than this. 😉
I hope you enjoy it…!!!
- 1 kg…. Raw mangoes- cut into roughly 1 inch pieces.
- 2 cups…. Mustard oil
- 6 tbsp…. Fennel seeds (Sauf)
- 2 ½ tbsp…. Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
- 5 tsp…. Split mustard seeds (Rai ki daal)
- 2 ½ tsp…. Onion seeds (Kalonji)
- 5 tbsp…. Red chilli powder
- 5 tsp…. Turmeric powder
- 7-8 tsp…. Salt.
Heat mustard oil in a non stick or thick bottomed pan till it starts smoking. Keep aside to cool.
Crush fennel and fenugreek seeds coarsely. Mix the remaining spices i.e. turmeric, chilli, onion seeds, split mustard seeds along with the crushed spices and salt. Place the mangoes in a large bowl and put the spice mix on them. Mix it thoroughly. Add half of the cool oil (i.e. 1 cup) on to the mango and spice mixture and mix well. Keep this bowl in sun for 3-4 days.(tie the mouth of the bowl with a thin cloth)
Transfer it to a clean and sterlized glass jar and add the remaining oil. Keep the jar in the sun for 12- 15 days. Serve.
- The jars should be well sterilized. Well sterilized conditions help this pickle to sustain up-to a year and a half.
- Don’t open the jar again and again as that may result in contamination and the pickle may spoil.